Finding my groove in the middle of a pandemic.





It's a warm Saturday afternoon here in my kitchen, as my mom watches Cantinflas and the neighborhood dogs bark to yet another round of fireworks. Life has changed for me in the recent years, two of my kids are now married, my 30 year marriage ended and my youngest is heading off to university in the Fall. It's been a time of transition, mourning and letting go. In the midst of it all I think I finally found my groove. It's been a difficult few months with all that we are facing in the world and in our local communities with Covid-19, social and economic disparities. Heartbreaking loss of life and palpable fear.

Since the Shelter in Place began in March... just days after closing the shop. I've pretty much turned to getting my hands dirty and playing with dirt, literally by planting a new vegetable garden, filling planter boxes and rekindling my love for succulents and flowers. Getting close to the earth has been the most grounding thing during this time. I have also been looking for a regular job. Interviewed with a few companies but doors haven't opened.  (I think the universe has a different plan for me). I've been an executive assistant in the corporate world for over 20 years. All those years I watched, I listened, I absorbed what those in leadership where doing, how they treated people, how they conducted business. The successful ones and the not so successful ones. While that life was good for me and allowed me to raise a family, have a nice home, start a business etc. It did not satisfy that deep internal need to create. I think we all have an inherent need to create and build something. I limited my creativity to spreadsheets, powerpoint and planning company parties. When I did have time after work I was left with very little energy.

Several years ago before opening the cafe (Tertulia Coffee) and gallery (Sanchez Contemporary) in Oakland I saved the name BlueVentana.com and held on to it. Thinking that one day I would use it. Finding my groove in the middle of a pandemic is not what I would have predicted by any means. But I am closing my eyes and jumping in because I've been preaching BeBraveMujer! forever and I can't keep saying that and continue to hold myself back. I've been listening to my inner critic for too long. I've learned and made mistakes along the way... big ones, little ones and I take all of those lessons with me.

I shared this video on social media but am sharing again here for the blog. It's a little introduction and coming soon video on my new venture. Please follow and like the videos that are coming on my Youtube channel as that will also help me build visibility and down the road a revenue stream to continue with my dream. I hope you join me on my journey as I will be sharing on different subjects as I am not just a plant person. Blue Ventanta: Home & Living encompasses much more than just plant arrangements.

I am also an artist (sandiafria.com), a curator (SanchezContemporary.com) and now a new business owner (BlueVentana LLC). My passions are many but they have a common theme. That interconnection being my love for people and using creativity as a way to connect, add color and life and help others heal in anyway way I can. We all have things to heal from and to let go of. I'm letting go of fear today and believing that this is doable. Launching a business during a pandemic may seem like a crazy thing to do but my heart says do it... You're gonna be alright. Things that I need for this journey are manifesting as I type this.

As an immigrant and Latina woman I know that we need more representation in leadership, government, business and the art world. I also know that these things are not achieved alone. We need our families and communities to help guide and uplift us along the way. Several friends have suggested I launch a gofundme campaign as it does take start up capital to get things going. Thanks again for believing in this dream and those that suggested it. In the mean time I will be creating online art shows, revamping my website and building up my inventory of plants, vessels and painting my heart out.


Abrazos! be safe (wear a mask) and remember...

You Are So Loved,


Maria S.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Cipitio

"Who are you today, Maria?"

Craving Papaya art