New Frida Kahlo painting and new mediums

Currently working on a new Frida Kahlo painting and trying out new mediums. I've never painted on cradled wood board or used gold leaf. I really like the smoothness of the board and how the wood grain shows through the paint. I am using acrylics and a gel stain medium to keep the paint light and not so opaque. I want the wood grain to come through. The gold leaf is so light and delicate as a feather. I love everything about it. Here are a few pictures of my process from pencil sketch to using just white and raw umber with a gel stain medium. I still have some more details on her face and the rest of the gold leaf around her to complete the painting. I'll be posting pictures of the finished piece soon. Stay tuned. She will be on display in San Francisco in June. I think I will definitely be working more on cradled wood... maybe I'll even brave painting with oils soon.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

El Cipitio

"Who are you today, Maria?"

Craving Papaya art