Why be shy?


Why be shy I say? Well my Un"tit"led painting will soon be exposed at the Solo Mujeres show in SF. (Patricia really liked it!) The latino culture is so skweemish when it comes to nudity.Or perhaps it's just me. (except for Sabado Gigante, where booty and tetas fly everywhere). I liked the way the "Collar de flores" turned out... which is what I named it (boring I know but the collar is afterall the focal point, but then again it depends on who you are asking?)... I could have named it something crazy like "tienes leche?" ,"coffee for two" , "las yayas ya llegaron" , "gone south for the winter", "Nelly Galan's swans"... geez I can go on for ever. I painted her while everyone else was watching the Super Bowl and I kept waiting for a Janet moment to get inspired. Well at least now I know how hard it is to capture the human form or forms.

Comments

BEGT said…
Hey Maria! when you posted just the part of the face I went to your gallery and looked at the painting. It never occurred to me that you could have done that during the super bowl. :)
Is there a special reason why you didn't show the face, well... the eyes?
Keep going amiga!
Maria Sanchez said…
When I started it I wanted the floral garland/necklace to be the focal part of the painting. So I left the eyes out. Plus leaving the eyes out kind of makes it a mystery as to who this person is. Is she hiding something by not showing her identity? Not really..just a beautiful latina woman with nothing to hide. No reason for painting during the superbowl. I'm not a big fan of the teams that were in it so I decided to sit in the room with family and paint instead. Plus everyone gave me feedback like " too big, or the left one is lopsided...kind of funny actually. ;}
Maria Sanchez said…
Hi Nydia thanks for your comments. I tried doing what you mentioned about RSS feed, and the setting was already on "yes". (I don't even know what RSS means.)
BEGT said…
I don't know what RSS means either :(
But... about the painting!!! I thought about the "universality" of the woman, since her eyes are not showing. Cool :)
I had trouble in my figure drawing class last semester... I thought I did really good but my instructor said that I had "problems with proportion".
Anyway, I like the painting. Keep on amazing the world... and maybe someday we'll know what RSS means :)

Popular posts from this blog

El Cipitio

"Who are you today, Maria?"

Craving Papaya art